- You still have until this Thursday, 28 February, to claim Wellington Scottish's $20 Round the Bays membership discount. You can get $20 off your new season of Scottish full adult membership (down from $185 to $165) if you pay Wellington Scottish Athletics 38-9005-0501833-00 by Thursday. Put your name and "RTB JOIN" in the reference. If you want a singlet too, add $39. This will be the biggest discount we offer this year so don't miss out by waiting.
In this bulletin:
- Options for the week
- Around the tracks (results)
- Upcoming events
- Events calendar
Options for the week
- Tuesday 5.00pm. Wellington Waterfront 5k Series, Mac’s Brewbar, Waterfront - Facebook.
- Wednesday 6.15pm. Scottish Track Workout, Newtown Park - contact Andy or Chand for details
- Thursday 5.30pm. Evening run from Kupe Statue - contact Lindsay and Rowan for info
- Saturday, 8.00am, Scottish Track Workout, Newtown Park - contact Andy or Chand for details
- Saturday, 8.00am, Lower Hutt 5km Parkrun, Porirua 5km Parkrun, Kapiti Coast 5km Parkrun
- Saturday 1.30pm, Club Meet A, Newtown Park
- Saturday 7pm, Sir Peter Snell International Track Meeting, Whanganui (Good luck to Sam Hyde-Smith, James Preston and Hiro Tanimoto)
- Sunday 8.30am, Sunday Run, Outside Freyberg Pool - contact Lindsay and Ben for info
- Sunday 9.30am, Junior Relay Meet, Newtown Park
- Friday-Sunday, NZ Masters Track and Field Championships in Timaru (Good luck to Peter Baillie, Andrew Kerr, Bill Twiss and Michael Wray).
Around the tracks (results)
- James Preston won the 800 B race at the Sydney Track Classic in 1:50.55 - Results and video
- Mel Aitken won the 85km Old Ghost Road Ultra in 8:29. Karl Woodhead finished in 13:41 - Results and video
- Sunday's Combined Senior and Junior Track and Field was cancelled.
- Waterfront 5km - Results
- To kick off the new season we will be running from Freyberg Pool for the next two Sundays, 8.30am. These will be friendly pack runs at a variety of paces and distances. Bring a friend to introduce them to Scottish, make the most of Oriental Bay while it is still summer, start the on-the-run discussions about our first interclub races - Shaw Baton Relay and University Relay.
McVilly Shield - 16 March
- This year the McVilly Shield will be slightly different format. We will hold it at Karori Park on Saturday Morning. We will put people in relays teams of three people each. Everyone can participate, runners, walkers, J Team, seniors masters and friends of the club. Each team must do 10 laps of Karori Park. No individual team member can do more than 4 laps. But you can do the laps in any order you like. For instance, you could run 4 laps in a row or you could do one lap, then hand the baton over to someone else in your team, then take the baton and do another lap... The race will be randomly handicapped as it has been in previous years. The Karori Park Cafe will be open during and afterwards.
Wellington 5000m Champs - 30 March
- The Wellington 5000m champs are the last track and field event of the summer. Normally Scottish has a big turnout for this event and it is a great opportunity to run a fast 5km time in a big group of runners.
Join the Athletics Wellington Board
- Athletics Wellington is looking for new board members. If you have exciting ideas about how you would like to see athletics and running happen in Wellington, or want to get some experience on a board, or have useful skills you can offer please consider helping. Contact Michael Wray for more details.
Fundraising for Nick Horspool's trip to World Cross Country
- Athletics NZ has recently announced a team of 21 athletes to represent NZ at the 2019 World Cross Country Champs, which will be held in Denmark on 30 March. And we are extremely proud that one of our own members Nick Horspool has been selected.
- Nick ran a fantastic sub 30min 10km race at Newtown Park last November, to cement his place in the team. Nick's selection continues a proud tradition of Scottish members competing at the World XC. The Champs are a truly global event with an incredible depth of talent, led by the Africa nations. This will be an amazing experience for Nick.
- Now the hard work starts - Nick is training up a storm as he gets himself in the best possible shape for the Championships. And the Scottish Supporters Trust is leading the charge in raising the funds to get Nick to Europe. The trip is unfortunately 100% self-funded, so representing NZ at this prestigious event comes with a $6000 price tag.
- The Trust raises funds via donations from members. If you are in a position to support the Trust's fundraising campaign with a donation, and thereby help reduce the cost of the trip to Nick, the Trustees (Todd Stevens, Glen Wallis, James Turner) would love to hear from you. Donations of any amount will be gratefully received and can be deposited into the Trust's bank account (38-9006-0470186-00). Add your name and WXC as a reference, and you will be sent a tax receipt (donations qualify for a 33% tax rebate).
- The Wellington Scottish AGM will be on Wednesday 6 March, 6pm at the Cricket Club at Anderson Park in the Botanic Gardens.
- A draft version of the 2019 Calendar is available online. You can see it at this link. I am also slowly copying it across to our Google Calendar on the front of the website - so I recommend you sync it to your own electronic diary.
26 - Wellington Waterfront 5k Series, Mac’s Brewbar, Waterfront, 5.00pm Facebook
2 - Lower Hutt 5km Parkruns, Porirua 5km Parkruns, Kapiti Coast 5km Parkruns – 8am
2 - Club Meet A, Newtown Park, 1.30pm
6 - Scottish AGM, venue and time to be announced.
8-10 - NZ Track and Field Championships, Christchurch
9 - Lower Hutt 5km Parkruns, Porirua 5km Parkruns, Kapiti Coast 5km Parkruns – 8am
9 - Tararua Mountain Race
16 - Lower Hutt 5km Parkruns, Porirua 5km Parkruns, Kapiti Coast 5km Parkruns – 8am
16 - McVilly Shield, 8am, Karori Park
16 - Round The Vines 10km or half marathon, Martinborough Square, 9am
17 - Honest Ten 10km, Evans Bay Wind Needle, 9am
23 - Lower Hutt 5km Parkruns, Porirua 5km Parkruns, Kapiti Coast 5km Parkruns – 8am
23 - Xterra West Wind, 18km, 12km or 7.5km, Makara Wind Farm, 9am
23 - Club Meet B, Newtown Park, 1.30pm
30 - Lower Hutt 5km Parkruns, Porirua 5km Parkruns, Kapiti Coast 5km Parkruns – 8am
30 - Final Club Meet and Wellington 5000m Championships, Newtown Park, 1.30pm
31 - Gully Gutbuster, Paparangi School, 9am
6 - Lower Hutt 5km Parkruns, Porirua 5km Parkruns, Kapiti Coast 5km Parkruns – 8am
6 - Scottish Opening Day and Centennial Cup, 1.45pm, St Hilda's Church, Island Bay
13 - Lower Hutt 5km Parkruns, Porirua 5km Parkruns, Kapiti Coast 5km Parkruns – 8am
13 - NZ and Wellington Mountain Running Championships, Wainuiomata
13 - Plunket Fun Run, Remutaka Incline
14 - Xterra Oronogrongo, 20km, 12km or 7km, 9am
20 - Lower Hutt 5km Parkruns, Porirua 5km Parkruns, Kapiti Coast 5km Parkruns – 8am
20 - Easter Pack Run, Scottish Clubrooms, 2pm
27 - Lower Hutt 5km Parkruns, Porirua 5km Parkruns, Kapiti Coast 5km Parkruns – 8am
27 - Shaw Baton Relays, Battle Hill Farm Park, Pauatahanui
27 - Xterra Wainui, Wainui Trail Park
28 - Scottish 3 Peaks Event One, Venue TBC
Keep in touch with the club via: