We need to finalise our accommodation bookings for North Island Cross Country in Taupō in the next day or two. If you want accommodation with the club, please register by no later than 9:00am this Wednesday 5 June. We will cancel any spare accommodation from our group booking after that point. Don't miss out. See below for details.
Options for the week
- Tuesday 6.15pm. Tuesday Night Session, Outside Freyberg Pool - contact Andy and Rowan for info or check Facebook
- Thursday 5.30pm. Thursday night run from the Kupe Statue.
- Saturday, 8.00am, Karori Park Workout - contact Lindsay and Ben for info or check Facebook
- Saturday, 8.00am, Lower Hutt 5km Parkrun, Porirua 5km Parkrun, Kapiti Coast 5km Parkrun
- Saturday 1.00pm, The Dorne Cup, Trentham Memorial Park. Seven races with the first race at 1.00pm and last race at 2.45pm. Follow the link for timetable and details - or check notices below.
- Sunday, 7.30am, Xterra 5 'Mad Makara', Makara Peak Mountain Bike Park.
- Saturday and Sunday, Taranaki walks weekend, Taranaki Race Walking Club races in New Plymouth for seniors, juniors and masters.
- Christchurch Marathon. So many amazing results in appalling conditions! Marathon: Mark Moore 2.28.24 (PB, 3rd and 2nd NZer), Bert Prendergast 2.28.40 (PB, 4th and 3rd NZer), Kristian Day 2.29.42 (PB), Chris Wharam 2.43.15, Simon Keller 2.46.39 (PB 1st M45), Ben Cornelius 2.54.49 (PB, 2nd M40), Mel Stevens 2.57.45 (PB, 1st W40), Michael Wray 2.58.26 (1st M50), Nicholas Bagnell 3.10.44, Betty Harp 3.56.19 (1st W55). I can't find confirmation anywhere but I assume Scottish won the Athletics NZ men's team's title too. Half Marathon: Ben Twyman 1.11.36 (PB), Harry Burnard 1.14.10, Dion Gamperle 1.28.38, Kate Slater 1.41.06, Naomi Christensen 1.42.44, Amy Auld 1.42.55, Anna Breen 1.49.53 (PB), Ian Morton 2:31.32 (Walk). 10km: Niam Macdonald 31.06 (2nd, PB), Andrew Kerr 35.12 (PB and 1st M40), Iain Shaw (39.25, PB) - Results. Check the Facebook group for photos, videos and lots of celebrations.
Dorne Cup - 8 June
- The Dorne Cup is organised by Hutt Valley Harriers and is one of the most prestigious cross country races in New Zealand. It is run at Trentham Memorial Park. The course is mostly flat but goes over some stop banks, small jumps and through the stream each lap. See link above for a map. This race is free for club members.
- You need to be a financial member of Scottish by Friday 7 June to compete. If you raced the Vosseler Shield you should reuse your race number from then. If you lost your number, or have not yet collected it collect it from the Scottish tent before the race. If you become a financial member after 1 June and up to 7 June, you will receive a temporary race bib, which must be returned after the race.
- Race 1 - 6km, 1.00pm: Masters women 35+ and 50+, 60+ and 70+, open women, masters men 60+ and 70+. Race 2 - 4km, 1.20pm: MU20, WU20, MU18, WU18. Race 3 - 2km, 1.45pm: BU12 and GU12. Race 4 2km, 2.00pm: BU14 and GU14. Race 5 - 3km, 2.15pm: BU16 and GU16. Race 6 - 1km, 2.30pm: BU10 and GU10. Race 7 - 8km, 2.45pm: Senior men and masters men 35+ and 50+.
- Trentham Train Station is about 1.5km from Trentham Memorial Park.
Trinity Pack run - 15 June
- Our first friendly shared club run with Wellington Harriers and Olympic is on 15 June, starting from the Wilton Bowling Club, next door to Otari Wilton Bush. The bowling club is letting us use its clubrooms as a base and has invited us to join them for a drink at its bar afterwards. The number 14 (Kilbirnie-Hataitai) and 22 (Johnsonville) buses go past the bowling club.
Novice Cup / Galashiels Trophy
- This is a very popular race for Scottish members. This 4.9k race is run over a variety of terrain, including footpaths/roads, and an uphill bush track.
- Show up at the Muritai School in Eastbourne before 2pm. It is an open handicap race, where runners are assigned a handicap in advance. The handicapping system allows slower runners to start first and holds the faster runners back for later starts. The race becomes a pursuit, and there is often a large bunch finishing together within only a minute or so. Anyone can win on the day, if they outperform the handicap that has been assigned.
- There are two prizes for this race, one for past winners of club trophies (Galashiels), and the other for those who have yet to win one (Novice).
- A separate event for race walkers (the Cole Land Cup) is held at the same time, along the roads to the south. J-teamers have a 2k handicap/scratch race starting just before the 5k event.
- 83 bus from town to Eastbourne or the East-West Ferry to Days Bay.
North Island Cross-Country Championships 2019, Spa Park, Taupō - 6 July 2019
- This is a great opportunity for a fun weekend away with other club members. It is one of the main club away trips during the harrier season. The NIXCCincludes events for juniors, seniors and masters, over a variety of distances up to 9 km (for the senior men). The courses in Spa Park are over undulating terrain, and they provide a good test of fitness. The conditions underfoot are almost always firm and fast. The event is well managed and attracts competitors from many North Island regions. We had 42 club members plus a few supporters taking part in the NIXCC in 2018 and would love to get a similar number again this year. The weekend away is good value, because we arrange car-pooling, and stay together in group accommodation. If you want club accommodation, please register immediately. After that, we will release the reserved rooms that are not allocated. If you are going and want accommodation, please let us know soon. Register here: https://forms.gle/HeqtpDHf8ark424Y7
- Welcome to new members Sarah Wah, Gemma Kennedy and Simon Catley!
- Would you like to be a pacer for the Half Marathon of the Wellington Marathon on 30 June? Each year the Wellington running community provides pacers for half marathon. The pacers always attract a large following of competitors on the day. The task is rewarding and very much appreciated, and a lot of fun. And of course entry is free, and a T-shirt provided. If you are interested, please email Todd (email@example.com). Pace times are: 1hr 30min / 1hr 40min (already filled)/ 1hr 45min (already filled) / 1hr 50min (already filled)/ 2hr 00min / 2hrs 10min / 2hrs 15min
- Anyone who wants to be considered for the Wellington teams for North Island XC, NZXC or NZ Roads should complete their details in the form below. This is especially relevant to the W50+ athletes as you now have your own grade at NZXC and NZ Roads - be a part of the inaugural Wellington team. For details and to register your interest in being selected, visit the link: https://2019wintereoi.eventdesq.com/
- Please renew your membership on our online membership system now - you just need a credit/debit card. If you want to take advantage of the discounted friends deal, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will pay you a $15 rebate to existing members for any new member you have introduced plus we will give your friend who has joined a $15 rebate.
- The annual Athletics Wellington AGM will take place at 7:30pm on Weds 19 June 2019, at Olympic Harriers Clubrooms, Bannister Ave, Johnsonville. Supporting documents: current constitution, changes to constitution and guide for nominations for awarding Life Membership of Athletics Wellington.