Good luck to the massive contingent heading down south for the Christchurch Marathon and associated events this weekend. Full marathon: Mel Stevens, Betty Harp, Nicholas Bagnall, Kristian Day, Jim Jones, Simon Keller, Mark Moore, Bert Prendergast, Chris Wharam, Michael Wray, Ben Cornelius. Half Marathon: Amy Auld, Kate Slater, Anna Breen, Ben Twyman, Harry Burnard, Dion Gamperle, Jerome Edwards, Ian Morton. 10km: Hiro Tanimoto, Iain Shaw, Niam Macdonald, Gemma Kennedy, Andrew Kerr, Ayesha Shafi. Any others?
Options for the week
- Tuesday 6.15pm. Tuesday Night Session, Outside Freyberg Pool - contact Andy and Rowan for info or check Facebook
- Thursday 5.30pm. Thursday night run from the Kupe Statue.
- Saturday, 8.00am, Karori Park Workout - contact Lindsay and Ben for info or check Facebook
- Saturday, 8.00am, Lower Hutt 5km Parkrun, Porirua 5km Parkrun, Kapiti Coast 5km Parkrun
- Saturday 2pm, Queens Birthday Weekend club pack runs, Scottish Clubrooms.
- Sunday, 8am, Christchurch Marathon, NZ Marathon Championship.
- Sunday, Aurora Handicap Marathon, Upper Hutt. Not many details about this online, so if you're keen, follow the link and look for the email address.
- Sunday 1.40pm, Kāpiti Winter Off-road Series - Event 2, Waikanae Park
- Mel Aitken won the XTERRA New Caledonia Trail Run - Results
- Lots of very impressive results at the Vosseler Shield but the most famous of them all was Dave Wilson's two-second victory over Iain Shaw. There were 69 Scottish entries (compared to 51 last year!) so lots of good races to see - Results, Sharon's photos and Rowan's photos.
- The Masters Classic XC Relay appeared to be dominated by food according to Michael Wray's report. 26 Scottish entrants walking and/or running - photos
- 3 peaks - Walter Somerville, Tim Judge, Lindsay Barwick, Chandima Kulathilake, John Gardiner, Paul Rodway, Trica Sloan, Kate Slater, Marketa Langova, Lyn Clark, Jaime Vessiot and Nicholas Vessiot all summited three peaks - Results
- Last week's Scottish Mountain Champs results are here.
Dorne Cup - 8 June
- The Dorne Cup is organised by Hutt Valley Harriers and is one of the most prestigious cross country races in New Zealand. It is run at Trentham Memorial Park. The course is mostly flat but goes over some stop banks, small jumps and through the stream each lap. 6 km for women and men over 60. 8km for men under 60.
Trinity Pack run - 15 June
- Our first friendly shared club run with Wellington Harriers and Olympic is on 15 June, starting from the Wilton Bowling Club next door to Otari Wilton Bush. The bowling club is letting us use their clubrooms as a base for free and has invited us to join them for a drink at their bar afterwards.
Novice Cup / Galashiels Trophy - 22 June
- This is a very popular race for Scottish members. This 4.9k race is run over a variety of terrain, including footpaths/roads, and an uphill bush track. Show up at the Muritai School in Eastbourne before 2pm. It is an open handicap race, where runners are assigned a handicap in advance. The handicapping system allows slower runners to start first and holds the faster runners back for later starts. The race becomes a pursuit, and there is often a large bunch finishing together within only a minute or so. Anyone can win on the day, if they outperform the handicap that has been assigned. There are two prizes for this race, one for past winners of club trophies (Galashiels), and the other for those who have yet to win one (Novice).
North Island Cross-Country Championships 2019, Spa Park, Taupō - 6 July 2019
- This is a great opportunity for a fun weekend away with other club members. It is one of the main club away trips during the harrier season. The NIXCC includes events for juniors, seniors and masters, over a variety of distances up to 9 km (for the senior men). The courses in Spa Park are over undulating terrain, and they provide a good test of fitness. The conditions underfoot are almost always firm and fast. The event is well managed and attracts competitors from many North Island regions. We had 42 club members plus a few supporters taking part in the NIXCC in 2018 and would love to get a similar number again this year. The weekend away is good value, because we arrange car-pooling, and stay together in group accommodation. If you want club accommodation, please register by Monday 3 June. After that, we will release the reserved rooms that are not allocated. If you are going and want accommodation, please let us know soon. Register here: https://forms.gle/HeqtpDHf8ark424Y7
- Welcome to new members Gemma Kennedy and Simon Catley!
- Would you like to be a pacer for the Half Marathon of the Wellington Marathon on 30 June? Each year the Wellington running community provides pacers for half marathon. The pacers always attract a large following of competitors on the day. The task is rewarding and very much appreciated, and a lot of fun. And of course entry is free, and a T-shirt provided. If you are interested, please email Todd (firstname.lastname@example.org). Pace times are: 1hr 30min / 1hr 40min / 1hr 45min (already filled) / 1hr 50min / 2hr 00min / 2hrs 10min / 2hrs 15min
- Anyone who wants to be considered for the Wellington teams for North Island XC, NZ XC or NZ Roads should complete their details. This is especially relevant to the W50+ athletes as you now have your own grade at NZ XC and NZ Roads - be a part of the inaugural Wellington team. For details and to register your interest in being selected, visit the link: https://2019wintereoi.eventdesq.com/
- Please renew your membership on our online membership system now - you just need a credit/debit card. If you want to take advantage of the discounted friends deal, please email email@example.com and we will pay you a $15 rebate to existing members for any new member you have introduced plus we will give your friend who has joined a $15 rebate.
- The annual Athletics Wellington AGM will take place at 7:30pm on Weds 19 June 2019, at Olympic Harriers Clubrooms, Bannister Ave, Johnsonville. Supporting documents: current constitution, changes to constitutionand guide for nominations for awarding Life Membership of Athletics Wellington.
Keep in touch with the club via:
The best gift for any occasion is the Rubik's Cube. The famous 3D puzzle can easily be solved with the online cube solver.